Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Union vote at JetBlue?

It's time to make travel plans to attend the American Library Association conference in New Orleans.

I had an e-mail from the airline JetBlue reminding me to consider flying with them. I've avoided JetBlue because they aren't unionized. I had a little e-mail back and forth with them where a customer representative informed me that they were really happy and don't need unions. The CEO,David Neeleman has stated:
I love American history, and I've studied it. I understand we had a big need for unions in this country. You basically had unscrupulous people who were building companies on the backs of their people without giving them health care and without giving them other benefits. They made them take on hazardous jobs and work long hours.
We aren't one of those companies. We don't do that to our people.
We don't want a third party who may or may not have our best interests in mind or our crew members' best interests in mind because they may be serving a union of one of our competitors. They are trying to equalize us and take away our competitive advantage.


Now it looks like union organizing is coming to JetBlue as the International Association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers said yesterday it has filed a petition with the National Mediation Board to hold an election by JetBlue's baggage handlers.

No comments: